Recommendations for safe handling of batteries in a household

  • All batteries tend to lose energy over time, even when unused. Even unused batteries should be stored in a cool and dry place.
  • Never let batteries stay inside appliances and devices for long periods of unuse.
  • Batteries must not be opened, tampered with or exposed to an open flame.


  • In a household, used batteries must be stored in a designated place (out of the reach of children) in the ECOCHEESE box or another container.
  • Never touch leaking batteries with bare hands.
  • Used batteries must be kept away from humidity or any sources of heat.
  • Prior to discarding used (lithium) batteries from camcorders, cameras or mobile phones, their poles must be covered with sellotape or otherwise insulated.
  • Spent batteries must not be stored in a household for a long time, try to bring them to a collection point within 6 months. 


The following should be brought to a collection point:

  • All types of batteries used in households (from lanterns, toys, electrical appliances, remote controls, wall clocks, mp3 players, mobile phones, etc.);
  • Button cells, AAA and AA batteries, small and large primary cells, lantern batteries, 9V square batteries and rechargeable batteries under 1kg.


The following shall NEVER be thrown in collection containers:

  • Rusty, damaged or leaking/sticky batteries,
  • Car batteries and other liquid electrolyte batteries,
  • Batteries or accumulators from industrial facilities (they usually do not feature any commercial label, there can be protruding contact wires, etc.),
  • Fully charged batteries,
  • Batteries over 1kg.

If you are unsure what to do, try to call us at 233 332 787 and we will gladly assist you.


Danger of battery ingestion

Unintentional battery ingestion can cause serious health problems, sometimes even with fatal consequences. The biggest threat exists among small children who are able to swallow just about anything out of curiosity. One should be very careful when it comes to small button cells that are easily accessible and very tiny.

If a battery stays lodged in the oesophagus, it will cause burns. In the event of battery ingestion, immediate medical attention must be sought. Information for parents and health care professionals can be found at the Button Battery Safety web.


Tips how to limit the risk of battery ingestion?

  • Store all small batteries out of sight and reach of small children.
  • When opening a pack which includes multiple button cells, make sure that children cannot access the batteries which remain in the open packs.
  • Make certain that the battery compartment of any household product is securely closed and child-resistant, and/or the product is stored out of the reach of small children.
  • Avoid storing small batteries in pillboxes or setting them out with medication. Their shape and size make them easily mistaken for medication.